Saturday, June 01, 2013

Multigrain Breakfast Bread

It certainly does seem that I got ahead of myself on this loaf. First of all, I had too much dough for my oval brotform. I should have used the oblong which would have happily swallowed the dough or made a boule or shaped two loaves. That's all water under the bridge now .

The most interesting thing I found in the process was the effect of using my mixer's whip to help disperse the starter into the water. I think I read about the technique at the Breadcetera blog site and hadn't used it in a while so I figured it was time to do it again. I simply scraped the starter into the mixing bowl, added my water, added about 60 g of the flour, and let the whip stir up the bowl contents.
The result was a soupy looking liquid.

Usually, I do at least 20 minutes of autolyse before adding my starter. This time around I added the remaining flour and mixed at first speed to a shaggy mass. After 20 minutes under cover, I went back to the first speed with the dough starting to come together after three minutes. The honey, oil, and salt all went in for the final four minutes of mixing at second speed.

The bulk fermentation went better than I expected, doubling the dough in three hours. After pulling out the loaf from a six hour snooze in the fridge, it was still rising. As evidenced by the squashed looking bottom of the crumb, I didn't let the proofing go on long enough. Live and learn.

160 g at 80% hydration, 75% organic AP/25% organic whole rye

80 g 9 grain cereal
56 g water

Main Dough
260 g bread flour
112 g bolted Turkey Red flour
28 g whole rye flour
285 g water at 85F
11 g kosher salt
1 Tbs (15 ml) honey
1 Tbs (15 ml) olive oil
All of soaker
All of starter

Comments, humor, and questions are welcome

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment