Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 06, 2013

Not Quite Psomi Yet

Of all my blog posts, my August 2011 post which includes my formula and procedures for a Horiatiko Psomi has gotten the most page views. A recent tip of the hat from another person's blog on "The Fresh Loaf" initiated a flurry of page views. That motivated me to look into Maggie Glezer's "A Blessing of Bread" for her formula for Horiadaki Psomi.

Using her formula more closely this time around, I started work on something that is simpler than my first formula and capable of producing a visually appealing loaf that brings out the "o-o-o-hs and a-a-a-ahs" . It's a work in progress so far. I'm not satisfied with the appearance of the crumb and the moisture content despite the fact that my first effort here should be in the 68-69% vicinity. There's also some work on shaping to be done because the bottom of the loaf had a few creases running across it and on the side opposite the initial slices, a big baker's house or cavity in the crumb. Nothing insurmountable as far as I can see but still worthy of close attention.

Starter
155 g at 68% hydration

Main Dough
288 g bread flour
112 g white whole wheat flour
280 g water at 85F
1 Tbs (15 ml) honey   
1 Tbs (15 ml) olive oil
11 g kosher salt
All of starter

The garden hasn't been getting much attention since the rain moved in on Friday. We got about 2.5" since then and the soil is really too damp to work with. I suspect that the lettuce seed I put in on Thursday was washed out. I have lots of plants to go in but they'll have to wait for Tuesday which should be a hectic day. There's more rain forecast for Wednesday through Saturday so maximum effort will be called for. Somehow, I've got to wash and wax two cars as well so I should have some quality sleep time due as soon as the rain moves in.

We've seen some unfamiliar faces at the bird feeders lately. An indigo bunting is starting to become more familiar with the environs. A rose breasted grosbeak passed through and an eastern Meadowlark, as opposed to a western Meadowlark, surprised one our hairy woodpeckers with a sudden landing at the suet feeder. It's possible that those new birds have been feeding here all along and I just haven't noticed or seen them. We're hoping for lots more new varieties to brighten the yard as the new flowers and plants start blooming.

Comments, humor, and questions are welcome.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment