Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Leavenworth County Fair 2012 Swag

          On Sunday morning, after the Fair had closed and the dust from the demolition derby settled, I went back to collect my prize ribbons. When I got to the exhibition hall, I found that Red Star Yeast, a sponsor for the competition provided some extras for the "Grand Champion". Included was a baker's apron, a spatula, two dial thermometers, and an oven mitt. The gifts weren't great in cost but I do appreciate the gesture. There's not much chance of landing an endorsement deal from Red Star Yeast in the future.

Today's bread is one where I used some the home milled hard red wheat that I bought at the Farmers Market. I've enjoyed using it and expressed my thanks by giving the vendors a small- 90g, piece of starter that I built up with the flour I purchased from them. I also gave them some dried white flour starter and instructions on how to revive it so they can have a plan B.

Using the hard red wheat flour really did add something extra to the starter. During the second stage of the build the starter tripled in about 4 1/2 hours at room temperature around 78F.

Starter
165g at 75% hydration, fed with 75% AP/ 25% home milled Montana Milling wheat

Dough
275g bread flour
25g whole rye flour
100g home milled Montana Milling hard red wheat.
280g water at 85F
10g kosher salt
1 Tbs Easton Hillside honey
All of starter

Sometime on Sunday, the blog received its 3000th page view. I'm baffled as to how that happened but my thanks to the readers who have found what is essentially my exercise in writing. I'm as good at writing as I am at baking with lots of enthusiasm but still a work in progress. 


The newest country to find its way into the blog has been a page view from Sweden.

Comments, humor, and questions are welcome.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment