Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 09, 2011

Back to School

After rereading MC's blog pieces on Gerard Rubaud and his bakery, I came to the conclusion that I'm not ready to attempt to reproduce his bread. First of all, elaborating a starter with his methodology is far more detailed than I remembered. It does sound like fun, being part baking prep, part alchemy. The second problem I see is that his hydration levels for the dough, 79 to 80%, are like those used for ciabatta breads rather than the 67 to 70% of a country or rustic loaf. I do wish I could make breads like his but it's going to take a lot more learning on my part.

Consequently, I enrolled in a bread baking class/ seminar/ show and tell session scheduled for next week. The Kansas Wheat Commission will provide the instructor and the class will be at the Kansas State University Extension Service Office in KC, KS. About all I could find out is that the class is approximately two hours long, there will be free recipe handouts, demonstrations on mixing, kneading, and shaping dough and other instruction.

One of my questions will be how do I get a job like that?


Comments, humor, and questions are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment