Powered By Blogger

Thursday, July 07, 2011

Anadama Post Script


The evidence of the first Anadama loaf was consumed down to the crumbs today so I think I'll put some of the formula out tonight with the idea that I might see where I should be going with it more clearly.

Preferment
60g AP flour
40g whole wheat flour
100g water, room temperature
<1g, or about half of 1/8 tsp ADY
Add ADY to water and hydrate for 5-10 minutes. Mix flour and water thoroughly. Cover bowl and let the preferment develop at room temperature for 8-12 hours until doubled.

Soaker
62g yellow corn meal
62g water
Mix corn meal and water, cover and let soak until the preferment has peaked.

Dough
278g AP flour
144g water
30g or 2 Tbl unsulphured molasses
34g or 2 Tbl unsalted butter
2g or about 1/2 tsp ADY
9g kosher salt
I added the molasses to the water and microwaved the bowl for about 25 seconds to warm the water and help molasses dissolve or mix with the water more easily. When the temperature of the mixture dropped below 95F, I added the active dry yeast to hydrate the ADY. I did have a lot of yeast action going on in this loaf.
During the mix, I added 4 Tbl of AP flour to adjust the dough to something I thought I could handle. It was still on the sticky side and better suited for a pan loaf. My hydration estimates were destroyed by the addition of the butter and molasses. The next time around I can either cut back about 20g of water from the formula or just add about 30g of AP flour. Using bread flour might make a small difference but I'm not betting the farm on that.

Comments, humor, and questions are welcome.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment