Powered By Blogger

Sunday, November 11, 2012

A New Sourdough Molasses Wheat Loaf

 Everybody has a blowout sooner or later and this was just my most recent, certainly not the last I ever expect. I expected that after 2 1/2 hours on my counter after a retarded proofing would be enough but, live and learn and bake some more.


My first sourdough molasses wheat was way, way back in the summer of 2011. This loaf was just a fun loaf and nothing competitive at all. What did I learn? Well, I suspect that if I had more patience during the proofing then I could up the amount of molasses. I also think that a single slash along the length of the loaf would be more effective for relieving the internal pressures.


Starter
155 g at 75% hydration

Main Dough

300 g bread flour
100 g hard red whole wheat
275 g water at 80F
9 g kosher salt
15 g molasses
All of starter
Attention to detail, patience (still working on that), and time

Despite what I thought was a highish hydration, the dough turned out relatively easy to handle. After baking, the interior crumb turned out to be moist with only a slight taste of the home milled whole wheat. Mrs PG gives it her approval for eating with pulled pork and sweet apple barbecue sauce. It does just as well with some unsalted butter.

Comments, humor, and questions are welcome.

   
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment