Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Deviation Loaf

I thought I was going to do a free standing loaf but ended up with another pan loaf. The idea to use some of the malted wheat flakes I have in the freezer downstairs popped into my mind and I went with the idea.The packaging instructions said that the flakes didn't need to be soaked before using so I added the flakes in portions as I mixed the dough. I had some apprehension about over mixing and stretch and folds thinking that the flakes could cut gluten strands so after a S&F at 50 minutes into the bulk fermentation, I decided to just let the dough ferment for another 100 minutes and then shape for a pan.
By the time I got to shaping, the flakes had hydrated. The loaf rested in the cellar at 60F for about 6 hours when I brought it upstairs to a 68F room. When the dough rose about an inch above the pan's rim, I preheated the oven.
The resulting loaf tastes good but isn't exactly a glamor shot achievement. The flakes add some texture but really don't add contrast to the color of the crumb. 50g probably isn't significant. However, I don't use cereal grains often enough to have experience.
I did find a recipe for an oatmeal-maple whole wheat sourdough loaf at the Farine blogsite. Ms Makani knows good bread so if she posted the recipe, there must be merit in it.
The WW starter experiment is suspended for while. There's a potential problem with rancidity in the oils in the flour. I don't bake enough bread to keep a WW starter active enough to prevent this problem. My white starter is active enough that I can build a WW or rye starter fast enough that I can keep just one starter. The white starter may need some revitalizing to minimize the acetic acid buildup so in the next week or two I'd like to do a period of two refreshments a day for a while.
I haven't killed the starter off in over a year so I'm not worried that I'll hurt it by experimenting.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment