Powered By Blogger

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Daffodils on the way and a PKWG Loaf variation

This was the first daffodil bloom of the season that I found in the yard yesterday afternoon. By the time Mrs PG and I were heading out to eat in Lawrence, KS a few hours later, there were a few more to give it competition for the eyes of viewers who really need some Spring in their lives. We'll get that this week in that the forecast high temperatures will be in the high 70Fs and low 80Fs. Time to open up the windows, let the stale air out, and the allergens in.

This is the latest loaf out of the oven. It's a variation on my Pilot Knob Wheat Germ loaf in that I used less wheat germ, the originally intended 25G instead of 50g, and there was no presoak of the WWW. The final hydration was just a shade over 70% and the dough was still easy to handle. The original PKWG was around 69%. It's difficult if not impossible to definitively memorize flavors so I won't choose which is better. I could serve either to my mother or MIL with confidence. My brother might be a tougher sell but only because he baked sourdough bread himself. He's the clinical chemist in the family as well.

Starter
150g 75% hydration

Dough
300g bread flour
100g white whole wheat
25g BRM wheat germ
295g water at 85F
9g kosher salt

Baked on a stone at 450F for 10 minutes, reduced to 425F for 5 minutes, turned around and baked at 425F for 20 minutes. Loaf had an internal temperature of 206F at 35 minutes so I turned the oven off, left the door cracked open for 5 minutes, and then cooled on a wire rack.

I think I've mined this vein of bread enough for a while. I can't decide whether to go with a rye next, I've been reading my copies of Clayton's "Breads of France" and "Inside the Jewish Bakery" a lot, or to go with another crack at my Anadama and Pioneer Bread recipes. I'll give that some thought while I wash the cars in the driveway this week. I can't miss my chance to take advantage of the expected warm weather.

Comments, humor, and questions are welcome.





















No comments:

Post a Comment