Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 24, 2021

New Year, New Pan, Slightly Different Recipe




I'm not the easiest person to shop for at Christmas time so Mrs PG suggested I do some for myself.The simplest thing I considered was a new pan that could be the "Goldilocks" pan among my collection. Not too small and not too big either. The first time around I tried a recipe that totaled 390 g of flour which was too small. This loaf is 420 g total and just about right to develop. The flours used are all KAF- all purpose, artisan, and white whole wheat flour. The loaf turned out to have a good crumb that didn't tear when sliced despite the quantity of AP. 

Poolish

60 g white whole wheat flour

40g AP flour

100 g water at 84F

1/4 tsp active dry yeast

Main Dough

160 g Artisan Flour

160 g AP Flour

194 g water at 84F

9 g kosher salt

1/2 tsp active dry yeast

The oven started out at 425F for the first 24 minutes and then 400F for 22 minutes after turning the pan around. Then I let the loaf rest for five minutes on a wire rack in the oven as it began cooling with the door cracked open. It's a good loaf for something I started without too much of a plan. 

I suspect that I'm becoming either a small time alarmist or a hoarder of baking supplies because it's easy to rationalize having more  than usual around the house. Costco has the KAF AP in 12# bags for less than $6 so these days I always have at least 20# of AP on hand. The KAF BF was like $2.59 for a 5# bag at Christmas so I got three. When I saw a 1# block of SAF Instant Dry Yeast for $3.59 where the small glass jars were almost $6, I had to grab what I thought had to be a mistaken price tag and a real deal. The next day at a different supermarket the same item was priced at $2.49 which made my purchase not quite as big a bargain as I thought. Compared to what we were seeing if we could find IDY back in April and May 2020, I can still laugh about it. It doesn't take that much room in the freezer. If 5# bags of rye flour started showing up on the shelves again at a reasonable price, I'd be all set to go to work on a brown ale rye bread.

My bird feeders are now under daily attack by grey squirrels. The feeders are supposed to be squirrel resistant but I know for sure they're not squirrel proof when one can be seen hanging up side down to get at the sunflower seeds. If they didn't sit on top of the shepherd's hook pole and stare in the window at me while they ate, I wouldn't be as annoyed. There are at least four that have found out about the feeders and they all run around like LSD and methamphetamine was a majority of their diet. This area has a 4" deficit in snowfall so far for the season and what little fell melted away quickly so leftover grains and seeds are still easily found by the area birds. I'd like to see if they would try to protect their feeders and territory should more return to my backyard.

Comments, humor, and questions are always welcome.





No comments:

Post a Comment