Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Sonnenblumenbrot

This sonnenblumenbrot or sunflower seed bread is my first effort at the recipe found in the first edition of J Hamelman's "Bread". I had to scale down the weights for a single pan loaf. I haven't found any information on the possibility that the formula had some errors in hydration during a brief search but I did end up adding an extra three Tbs (45 ml) of water to get what I thought was a workable dough. Some of the extra water may have been due to my using WWW for the preferment. It was supposed to be a pate fermentee but I forgot the salt. It turned out more like a thick biga. Overall, the hydration is supposed to be 80% but I must have missed something somewhere.

I made a mistake in using one of my larger pans for this loaf. It doesn't look too bad and if I had possessed more patience to proof the loaf longer, I might have gotten a better crumb. But it still tastes good, either in a ham and Swiss cheese sandwich or with a healthy smear of crunchy peanut butter.

Preferment
72 g WWW flour
48 g water
1/8 tsp active dry yeast

Soaker
72 g rye chops
90 g water

Main Dough
360 g bread flour
187 g water at 85F
10 g kosher salt
5 g honey
4 g active dry yeast
90 g toasted sunflower seeds, unsalted, plus extra for top of loaf
All of soaker
All of preferment

The second loaf is a variation of the Hearth Grain Loafs that I've been working on lately. This loaf used 28% WW flour rather than WWW and got 15 g of brown cane sugar.

The notable visitor over the past few days, whether deliberate or by accident, was from the Czech Republic.

Comments, humor, and questions are welcome.

           
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment