Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Using a Whole Wheat Starter

Just for the fun of it, I decided to use some Dakota Maid whole wheat flour for a two stage build starter for this loaf. There wasn't anything particularly difficult in doing that but I should mention that the result was smaller in size than if I had used some white flour.

It turned out to be a nice loaf, suitable for how we eat bread here with the exception of Italian foods. I have healthy basil, rosemary, and sage plants now for either a pan Marino loaf or foccaccia. 

Starter
170g, 80% hydration starter made with whole wheat flour
in two stages

Dough
20g whole wheat flour
40g whole rye flour
340g bread flour
280g water at 85F
10g kosher salt
All of starter


Presently, we're in the middle of a prolonged drought accompanied by a vicious heat wave. The daily high temperatures have been between 94-104F. Because the night time temperatures aren't all that cool, the tomato plants won't be setting fruit until this heat spell breaks for a few days. I don't know about the chile peppers and how they'll do but I haven't given up on watering them. When I bake these days, it's usually after 6 PM but the room temperatures are still at 80F or so which means I read more about baking than actually get the opportunity to do so. The County Fair is scheduled for the first full week in August so I need to bake to get the creative and competitive spirit going.

Recognition goes out to the brave souls from Israel and Bangladesh that stopped by to look at this little corner of the internet.  


Comments, humor, and questions are welcome 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment