Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The New Buckwheat Loaf

I decided to take another try at working with buckwheat flour and this second attempt is better but not quite there yet. It still needs some work. This time around I used bread flour instead of AP, changed my flour ratios, and extended the mix time. In return, I did get a better oven spring. The buckwheat flour doesn't seem to be more than subtle in flavor so far which leads me to suspect I have to add an even greater percentage before I taste the flour. It's a good tasting bread and I know I'll have to try tweaking the formula one more time soon but I think I feel a yeasted bread experiment bubbling around in my subconscious for the next loaf.

Soaker
67g white whole wheat flour
67g buckwheat flour
133g water at room temperature

Starter
150g at 100% hydration made with an
85% organic AP flour/15% whole rye flour
mixture

Dough
All of soaker
All of starter
300g bread flour
133g water at 85F
9g kosher salt

We stopped by the Backyard Bird Shop in N. KC, MO where the staff member filled us in on what was happening in the local bird population. The Sharp Shinned Hawk is a migrating species that winters over throughout the state of Kansas and has returned to the area. This species is known to attack birds at feeders which may explain why the birds were MIA for a while. The current guests at the feeders include house finch, goldfinch, house sparrows, tufted titmice, blue jays, cardinals, juncos, nuthatches, and three different types of woodpeckers. Cedar waxwings are said to be in the area but I can't say that I've seen any or would recognize one if I did see one. There are often large flocks of starlings in the area. The starlings do go to seed and suet feeders but haven't been doing much of that that I've observed. For the most part, they've been just flying in and scaring off other birds through numbers and noise. They behave like the ruffians of the bird world. Our neighbor has a heated bird bath and at times there will be up to sixteen crowded around the perimeter, blocking access to any other species.

Judging by the way the levels in the feeders are descending more quickly than previous, the birds will be well fed for the cold weather that should be coming in from Canada tomorrow evening.

Comments, humor, and questions are welcome.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment