Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 07, 2011

A Promised Formula

This is the formula for my Green Light Deli Rye.I call it that because Mrs PG has given me the green light to bake this as often as I'd like. This was developed for Super Bowl Sunday this year.

I began with a two stage build of a rye starter. The goal was to bake a smaller loaf than usual and do a retarded proof without a brotform.

Starter
20g white flour starter
40g water at 85F
40g medium rye flour
Add the starter to the water and whisk. Add rye flour and mix until a thick batter, about 70-100 strokes. Cover and let sit at room temp for about 8 hours or until doubled. Degas the first stage and add
40g water at 80F
40g medium rye flour
Stir well, cover and let sit until doubled. Because of the late hour, I took the container downstairs and let it sit in a 62F room temp for about 8-9 hours. As an alternative, I could have added a pinch of salt, 1/32-1/16tsp of salt, to slow down the starter but the cool basement made more sense and didn't require guesswork.

Main Dough

300g bread flour
15g coarse whole wheat
180g water at 85F
8g salt
1 TBL caraway seeds
1/2 TBL honey
1 TBL butter
1-2 TBL corn meal for dusting parchment paper
After whisking my starter into the water, I added about 50g of the flour to the mixer bowl and used the dough hook to stir it for about 15 seconds. That's not a needed step but I like to think it disperses the starter mix better. Next, I added the rest of the flour, mixed to a shaggy mass and let the dough autolyse for about 30 minutes. The salt was added along with the honey and warmed butter,then mixed at low speed for 3 minutes to incorporate. Two minutes at second speed, turned the dough, added the caraway seeds and mixed at low to incorporate.
I turned out the dough and shaped into a ball, put it in an oiled bowl and covered for a 2.5 hour bulk fermentation with stretch and folds at 50 and 100 minutes. At 150 minutes, I turned out the dough and pre-shaped into a ball, leaving it covered for 10 minutes to relax the dough. I shaped into a batard, put the loaf on dusted parchment paper on a small cutting board, supported the edges of the paper with a rolled towel, placed it all in a large plastic bag, and placed it in the downstairs fridge with the opening tucked under to prevent drying out. Strictly amateur in method but it worked out well considering the proofing lasted about 20 hours.
Sunday rolled around and I took the loaf upstairs and let it warm up for about an hour. I'm not sure that did a lot but I felt better because I had time for my first cup of coffee. After an hour I preheated the oven to 475F with the baking stone in the middle. I slashed the loaf when the sensor beeped and loaded the loaf and gave a quick spritz of water to the oven. After another minute, I spritzed again. At the 15 minute mark, I pulled the parchment paper, turned the loaf around, and turned the oven down to 450F. At 30 minutes, I checked the internal temp of the loaf, found it was around 205F so I shut off the heat and propped the door open with an oven pad for 5 minutes.
I took the loaf out and let it cool on a rack. We heard the rice krispies noise of a cooling loaf for almost an hour. Some folks suggest that a loaf of rye shouldn't be cut for a day to let the flavors develop. I didn't wait more than 8 hours but was rewarded with a really tasty loaf that went well with spicy mustard and some superb kielbasa from Stoysich's in Omaha. It's a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment