Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Opening Arguements

This is intended to a blog about my bread baking and gardening experiments. i may be good at both but I make no claim to being really, really good. I follow pretty basic procedures and rarely document my attempts at both.
Today, I'm between bakes. Monday night's bake was a sourdough miche- because it didn't look like a boule- with Dakota Maid All Purpose, some milled organic hard red winter wheat-20%, and 10% multigrain flour that I found in Middleton, VT at the co-op. There's no name for the recipe but it's a style that I often go back to for the flavor and texture. You might liken it to a Pain de Campagne or Thom Leonard's Country French loaf.
My sourdough starters haven't taken kindly to being elaborated at 100% hydration. They turned rather goopy, if that's a word, and had some hooch on top of the starter. Presently, I'm rebuilding the white flour starter to a 70% hydration because it keeps better in the refrigeration. I can go more than a week without refreshing the starter and still have adequate yeast power to build a fresh starter in 12 hours at the current room temperature around 68-70F.
The whole wheat starter is being built with the organic whole wheat flour I bought last month at the Bryant farm down Hwy 92, here in Leavenworth Cnty, KS.I'm just trying to build up a vigorous WW starter so I can dry the starter and keep it as a backup or send it to friends and family that need some. I have a couple other WW flours, one from Gleeson Farm in VT and another from Northstar Farm in MA., that I hope to build up to see how they compare. Then it will be survival of the fittest among the WW starters.
So much baking to do this week. I need to bake one loaf for home consumption and then two more for NYE at Rob and Sachiko's house. The NYE loaves will be a classic Pain de Lavain and a walnut and raisin bread similar to a recipe from the SFBI and Michael Suas.
Elaborate the starters, secure the flour stock, dust the bannetons, and don the apron- a King Arthur Flour apron to be exact, it's time to fill the sink with dirty pans and fire up the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment