Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 08, 2012

Kansas Bread Sticks

  I concede that these have little in common with baguettes. They have more in common in with Italian breads in that I used a biga and some olive oil for ingredients. I also  considered calling them "pane rude" or rude bread but I thought that might be pushing my luck with my Italian-American acquaintances.
Perhaps I could get away with calling them crude bread.

Essentially, the dough was about 70% hydration dough that could have been used for pizza with a little more effort on my part. The biga was 70% and left alone for 12 hours or so, then mixed with the remainder of the ingredients. An hour long bulk ferment was followed by shaping and proofing under a towel for another hour.They were baked on a stone at 425F for around 25-27 minutes and then cooled on a rack. The crumb wasn't bad but not really good. I think the next time I try this I'll use a lttle more yeast in the main dough, probably starting with 1/2 tsp in the main dough. Still, for using a total of 3/8 tsp of ADY, they turned out OK.

Biga
100g AP flour
70g water at room temperature
1/8 tsp active dry yeast

Main dough
300g AP flour
200g water at 88F
1/4 tsp active dry yeast
7g kosher salt
8g olive oil


Comments, humor, and questions are welcome.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment